Apple announced OS X Mountain Lion and some of its new features. Among these features is a new Messages app that is much like Messages on the iPhone and iPod Touch.
￼The public beta version of the Messages app can be downloaded now and can be run exclusively on Mac OS X Lion.
On the iPhone, Messages integrates an SMS texting with an online chat client. It let’s you send texts via your phones SMS or messages to other iPhones and iPod.
On Mac OS X Mountain Lion and on OS X Lion, the Messages app allows you to send messages to iPads, iPhones, iPod Touches, and other Macs. The app also connects to popular instant messaging services as Aim, Jabber, Google Talk, and Yahoo Messenger.
Messages App Features
These are the features outlined on the Messages Beta download page:
- Send unlimited iMessages to any Mac, iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.*
- Start an iMessage conversation on your Mac and continue it on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
- Send photos, videos, attachments, contacts, locations, and more.
- Launch a FaceTime video call and bring the conversation face-to-face.
- Messages supports iMessage, AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk, and Jabber accounts.
Available Now in Public Beta for OS X Lion
Messages for OS X Mountain Lion is available for Mac OS X Lion in beta version as a free download. Macrumor reports that after the beta version expires, Lion users would have to purchase OS X Mountain Lion or the Messages app to keep using Messages.
Also note that when you install Messages Beta, it will replace iChat on your Mac. I would assume that when that happens, OS X Lion users who want to go back to iChat should be able to do so.
Here’s how to download Messages Beta for Mac OS X Lion.
Download Messages Beta
- Click the link here to go to the Apple website page on OS X Mountain Lion features: Go to Messages download page;
- Click the Download Messages Beta button. Or click here for direct download of Messages.
Step 2 will download the installer. Double click the installer (file name: MessagesBeta.dmg) to see MessageBeta.pkg. Double click that to start installer and follow the onscreen instructions.
That’s all for now. Enjoy.
￼Suggested Stories and Downloads on Mac Mojo:
- How to Check if Your Macbook Air has the Faster or Slower SSD
- The 15- and 17-inch Macbook Airs with Retina Display
- Download Epub Reader Adobe Digital Editions
- Download Firefox 10
- How to Capture an Area of the Screen and Save the Selection
- Where Are My Default Desktop Pictures Located